*Wanna Make Music? Start here!*
Wanna make music?
Making music is one of the most fun and most rewarding creative pursuits you can probably ever undertake, but it can also be one of the most confusing. If you thought the process ended at learning how to write and record your songs, think again - there are heaps of other challenges that can present themselves as you progress as an artist: from booking a venue, to playing a festival, to clearing a sample.
GOOD NEWS, tho! If you wanna make music, we wanna help you. To give you a kick-start, we’ve compiled the best information available about everything you could possibly need if you’re starting out as a musician, based on our own extensive research and the knowledge of industry insiders who’ve been there and done that. Below, get songwriting tips from Gotye, legal advice from a real music lawyer, and info about how to get funding grants from the people who give them out. It’s all here for you!
- The Art of Songwriting - unpacking the mysterious art of songwriting with tips from Gotye, Art Vs Science and more.
- Booking a Venue - here's how to book a venue, with help from one of the best in the biz.
- Crowdfunding - tips for crowd-funding your album/tour from the artists who've been there and done that (and the founder of Pozible!).
- DIY Recording - recording your own music is now easier than ever. Here's how you do it.
- Getting a Grant - we asked the Australia Council for the Arts about how to score one oftheir grants to record an album.
- Guide to PR and Management for Artists - BOSSY Music's Claire Collins is a PR Queen, and she's got some hot tips about how to market yourself.
- Guide to Underage Gigging - MusicNSW's Chris Zajko explains the best way to play/go to gigs if you're under eighteen.
- How to Get Gigs - so you've got 30 minutes of music, plus an obligatory Nirvana cover, and you're ready to play a show. Now what?
- How to Score a Spot on a Festival Bill - just how DO you score a spot on a festival bill?
- Legal Advice for Young Bands - sometimes, you gotta get a lawyer. We did, and he explained all about the legal side of the music industry.
- Music Industry Support Bodies - here's a comprehensive list of outlets who can help you progress in your career.
- Mastering - mastering is often seen as the finishing touch for just about any recording project. But what is it, and why is it so magical?
- Resources and Links for Indigenous Artists - are you an Indigenous artist? Start here.
- Sampling and Clearances- what is Sampling? And is it legal? We explain the law around using other people's sounds in your songs.
- triple j's guide to naming your band - the do's and don'ts of finding a name to release your music under (hint: dance producers hate vowels!)
- Understanding APRA - ever wondered how royalties work? Get paid for getting played - here's how!